Monday, April 6, 2009

9 1/2 Weeks from surgery- if only I had (the hot) Mickey Rourke this long....

Wow, I knew it had been too long since I'd updated, but I had no idea it had been this long. Sorry about that to my friends and family who read to try and check in on me and how I'm doing. I will try to do better, promise.

So... I passed the month 2 mark. I lost a total of 14 pounds in month 2, but was disappointed with it because I wanted it to be more like 16 pounds by that point. And you may say, well, that only 2 pounds, but to me it might as well be 20. I know, the mind plays cruel tricks.....

Now here I sit at 9 1/2 weeks out (10 weeks on Wednesday) and I am down to 246. That's a total loss of 59 pounds, 48 since surgery. I have decided that I will change and only weigh once a week rather than twice a week as I had been doing because I can't stand the constant up and down. If it looks like that starts to drive me crazy, then I may go to weighing less frequently than that. I am trying to focus on getting in protein 1st and then indulging in some veggies. I have had a couple of days where I ate some bread and it did bother me, so I'm cutting it back out. I have stopped really measuring my food, but I think I need to get back in that habit as well. My eyes have always been larger than my tummy. But oddly enough, I got 3 Chicken Selects from McD's yesterday and I could only eat 1. I eventually ate the other 2, but it took me a couple more hours. So although I feel like at times that I eat too much, if I stop and think about it, I still consume WAAAAYYYY less than I used to. Again, cruel mind games. They say they operate on our guts, not our heads.

Gerald and I go to the gym at last 3 times a week, and more often than not, it's 4-5 times a week. I'm building muscle because I can see it and feel it, but I am experiencing a few problems as a consequence. I think that because my core isn't as strong as it could/should be, I am having some back issues. I have to remind myself that I still have a herniated disc in my lower back. Recently it has started to remind me that it's still there. No numbness or lasting pain, but at times I can be sitting still in a chair and have fleeting shooting pains run from my lower left back down my left leg and to my foot. For a few seconds, it hurts tremendously and feels slightly weak. But it always goes away. I asked the doc about it and she said that there's not much to do unless it goes numb again. Oh great. I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. But I did rest an extra day today and will go back to the gym tomorrow. I'm trying to be mindful of better posture as well. My Nanny would be so proud.....

As for the head issues, I'm going to a book discussion tomorrow night that is growing out of our monthly WLS support group locally. I'm the only DS-er in the group, but my head doesn't know the difference. We're going to be discussing and working through the book The Beck Diet Solution, written by Dr. Judith Beck. She doesn't target any specific diet, but rather the emotional/mental issues associated with weight loss, whatever the mode of achievement. I think it will be a really good exercise for me because I have been so focused on getting back to normal that now I need to find a new normal that is truly compatible with my new physiology and life.

Well, that's just a few of my many ramblings. I'm off to finish some housework. I weigh in on Wednesday, so I'll post an update then. I think, too, it will be time for another picture. I sure do hope I sprout some collarbones pretty soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment