Friday, April 24, 2009

3 month check up

We went down to Georgia last Thursday night after work. Managed to miss the nasty storms that rolled through Atlanta packing golf ball-sized hail though. Didn't get there until 2:00 a.m. Yowza! But the 4 hours sleep we did get were nice.

Went to Dr. Smith's office at 8:15 a.m. for my appt. with him, and then on to have blood drawn. I had wondered if I would weigh the same on his scales as on my own, so ours must be pretty close since I weighed a half pound less than the last time I weighed. I clocked in at 235.1 on the doc's scales. We talked about my vitamins and my diet. All doing pretty good with one notable exception. {Last Wednesday night I ate some barbecue and stew from Hog Heaven here in Durham. I ate too much and ate too fast. Once I took that last bite of stew, I knew it was not good and was way too late. Time I swallowed, I was running to the bathroom. And up it came. It was a horrid experience, but was nonetheless a very good teacher. Note to self: LISTEN to the dragon and what she tells you. Geesh! It took a good couple of days to get my insides to accommodate food again.}

Overall, I think Dr. Smith was really pleased with my progress. He whipped out the calculator and I knew what he was doing. He calculates that at 3 months post-op, I have lost 43.4% of my excess weight. Woo Hoo!!!! I am thrilled, and I even got a big ol' smile out of him (not an easy feat, I tell you)! He said it will probably slow down and I am prepared for that - of course I say that until it actually happens. I'm sure at that point I will panic. But, it does look like I have a decent chance at reaching goal, which for me is 135-140 pounds. That will put me at a normal BMI for a woman 5'3" tall. Of course, if I manage to gain the inch I lost while morbidly obese, that will be all the better. I don't care how tall I am, as long as I can run without pain so Gerald and I can run some half marathons together. I guess I'm just thrilled that Dr. Smith is so happy.

I got my blood drawn, and it will be a couple of weeks before I hear anything, I'm sure. He is going to make sure I get a copy of my results so I can track trends, and we will talk about tweaking my vitamins if I need to. He seems to think I might be ok since I started taking lots and lots right out of the gate. I knew I just didn't want to play catch up, especially with Vit. D and calcium. Not a good place to be.

Anyway, I have much more interesting stuff to talk about, but I also want to be able to post pictures, and I don't have them off the camera yet. I met one of my angelettes on Friday. Her name is Jill, and she is having surgery with Dr. Smith tomorrow, Wed., April 29th. I'll post our picture soon. I also met a great group of gals at IKEA on Saturday down in Atlanta that are all pre-op. I was able to answer some questions and generally reassure them that they will love their DS, too! And now, this coming weekend, I will be going to Leicester, NC (outside Asheville) to visit with my other angelette, Nancy. Her surgery will be with Dr. Smith on May 20th. I'm so excited for both Jill and Nancy! And hey, it makes me feel good to pay this wonderful new life forward. I might look a lot better, but you can't put a price tag on feeling like a million bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment